Selecting a Juicer
Juicing is a relatively simple process. However, in order to achieve the maximum benefit, it’s crucial to choose a quality juicer.
There are so many different brands and varieties of juicers. Here’s a pretty good list of some of the better models published by Business Insider. There are basically two types of juicers:
A Centrifugal juicer provides higher RPMs and generally more cost effective. This type can have problems juicing leafy veggies.
A Masticating juicer. A bit more expensive provides a higher yield and is much quieter.
Preparing the Juices
Prior to turning on your juicer, it is essential to ensure that it is well cleaned. This helps avoid cases of food poisoning. You should also clean all the veggies and fruits thoroughly before juicing.
Do I need organic fruits and Vegetables?
Yes. Remember to choose high-quality ingredients. And where possible, use only organically produced fruits and veggies as they have no agricultural chemicals. Absolutely no processed foods. It is also good to seek for a wide variety of ingredients to get varying flavor combinations and nutrients. Always start with simple recipes in order to get your preferred taste or flavor. For instance, try a simple orange juice based drink using fresh oranges.
Can I refrigerate my juices?
Fresh juice is always the best. If there is a little more left, it is prudent to keep it in airtight containers or in a refrigerator. But if there is any more fruit or vegetable juice left after 24 hours, it is best to discard it. Finally, clean all your juicing equipment well after finishing up. Many juicers may still retain pulp from juiced ingredients, which may lead to the growth of molds or bacteria.
Juicing Recipes for Weight Loss
There are numerous juicing recipes for weight loss out there. Below is one of my personal favorites. It’s just a simple green juice but the effects are amazing. Give it a try!
The Green Juice Recipe
Green juices are a perfect way to take your fair share of green veggies. These juices are commonly made from spinach, broccoli, kale, cucumber, romaine lettuce, and celery. To add flavor, taste, and alter the the proportions as needed. Incorporating fruits such as pears and green apples will also help sweeten the juice.
- Two cucumbers, which should be peeled if they are not organic
- A big fistful of kales and sweet pea sprouts.
- 5 stalks of celery and 1 or 2 broccoli stems
- 1-inch piece of freshly cut ginger and 1 green apple or pear
- You may also include any other optional greens, which you may prefer such as spinach or parsley
- Wash and prepare all ingredients
- If possible cut the ingredients into smaller bits for better juicing
- Juice all the ingredients
- Place the mixture in a fine mesh strainer and use a spatula to press it down
- Discard the pulp and pour the juice, which is ready for drinking.
This green juice is rich in vitamins A, C, and K from the celery, broccoli, sweet pea sprouts, and kales. These nutrients help in boosting the body’s capacity to fight disease. It is also rich with polyphenols from apples, and it has anti-inflammatory benefits from the fresh ginger.
What Else Should I Know?
Juicers should also be cautious of exercising excessively. This is important because general energy levels can drop once you start juicing. That being said, moderate exercising is essential because the juices may spike your blood sugar levels.
Your may need to adjust
Note that during the juicing period, your body may be overly sensitive to stimuli. You may end up with problems such as headache and fatigue. Stay on your set schedule for at least every 2 to 3 weeks. Changing the routine may alter your energy and sugar levels. This may negatively affect your energy.
How long should the juicing cleanse take?
Unlike the lemonade diet, There is no specific duration but the minimum number of days is around 3 days. It is possible to juice cleanse for more than three days to even a few weeks. Just be cautious and if your energy begins to fade consider moving back to solid foods. Make sure to start eating a well rounded healthy diet.
You can remain on a smoothie diet for longer periods. If you’ve seen fat sick and nearly dead, you know that Joe Cross underwent his cleanse for 60 days! Just ensure that your juices are balanced for nutrients.
What should you do after a juice cleanse?
Just after the cleansing session, it is advisable to introduce solid foods gradually until the body adapts to the changes. This helps in preventing complications such as stomach cramps
Here is what you need to do…
- Start taking solid food in small rations gradually to avoid indigestion as your digestive system returns to normal. It is recommendable to take organic veggies and fruits on the first day after the end of your juice cleanse.
- Keep observing your dietary intake carefully to avoid reintroduction of toxins to your system.
- Take some time before fully reverting back to your pre-cleanse schedule. Enjoy the post-cleanse phase
- Don’t undertake strenuous exercises or work because your body may not yet be back to normal. You may relax for a day or two before going back to your previous work schedule
Final Verdict – Effective, or Just Fads?
So do they actually work? Based on the National Institute of Health cleansing or detoxification, juicing programs can eliminate toxins from the body’s system. They could also really help with weight loss. So, why not give it a try? You will be glad you did! Remember to share your experience with us.
Finally, If you’re looking for the best cleansing drink, we’ve compiled our top 15 list for 2019! Alternatively, we recommend trying herbal tea varieties. Rooibos tea, for example, is another great weight-loss alternative.